In this course we will create an identity system for a small, local business. This begins with research and a logo redesign, and expands to include stationery, advertising, a mailer, and a specialty promotional item.
This course is one of the requirements for students planning to apply for the BFA in Graphic Design at Georgia State University.
- Project 1: Logo Redesign
- Project 2: Stationery
- Project 3: Ad Series
- Project 4: Mailer
- Project 5: Specialty Item
What Is An Identity?
An identity encompasses all the qualities that help an audience recognize a business. These include a logo, graphic elements, typefaces, color palettes, sounds or songs, materials or textures, formats, photographic styles, characters, voice(s), locations, and associated events or businesses.
An identity can extend to how employees answer the phone. It can incorporate charities that the business gives to, events that it sponsors, and even mascots, architecture, and fashion. Think of some of the world’s most successful brands, and the variety of ways in which you see that brand expressed.
- To thoroughly research and investigate a business’s services, products, context, and audience
- To apply research toward the development of a concept which innovatively connects the business with its audience
- To promote the business entity through a meaningful system of content and visual elements, including color palette, typogra- phy, copywriting, graphics, and imagery
- To extend the identity system cohesively across a series of related projects, in various formats