I have worked professionally as a designer of traditional and digital media, including information and user experience design, for over 20 years. I have experience with organizations as diverse as advertising and marketing agencies (J. Walter Thompson, Green Olive Media), finance (ING), news (CNN, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Athens Banner-Herald, Community Newspapers, Inc., Mother Nature Network), transport (CSX), telecommunications (BellSouth/AT&T), sales management (Ockham Technologies – startup), and many small and medium-sized business clients ranging across an array of retail and service providers. I have been Visiting Professor of Graphic Design at the University of Tampa for the 2017-2018 academic year, and I will start a tenure-track position as Assistant Professor of Art at University of West Georgia in August 2018. I also teach mobile application design at General Assembly Atlanta and have taught graphic design at Georgia State University, where I also received my MFA in graphic design. I received an undergraduate degree in English and Literature from Duke University where I learned the value of a good storytelling, which is also at the heart of all good design.
Bryan has worked professionally as a designer of traditional and digital media, including mobile applications, for over 18 years. He has worked with organizations as diverse as advertising and marketing agencies (J. Walter Thompson, Green Olive Media), finance (ING), news (CNN, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Athens Banner-Herald, Community Newspapers, Inc., Mother Nature Network), transport (CSX), telecommunications (BellSouth/AT&T), sales management (Ockham Technologies startup), and many small and medium sized business clients ranging across an array of retail and service providers. He teaches mobile application design at General Assembly and graphic design at Georgia State University, where he is also pursuing his MFA in graphic design. He received an undergraduate degree in English and Literature from Duke University where he learned the value of a good story. He believes storytelling is what is at the heart of Elemenoh’s mobile app – the untold story of the city, it’s people, businesses, cultural institutions and more.
- Herman J. Russel Center for Entrepreneurship, Business Plan Competition –2nd Place Prize – Elemenoh Studios
- Society for News Design – Award of Excellence – CNN’s The Undecided
- Emmy Awards/Television Academy – Nominee/New Directions: Documentaries – Mauritania: Slavery’s Last Stand
- Investigative Reporters & Editors Award – CNN’s Mauritania: Slavery’s Last Stronghold
- Foreign Press Association Award – Print & Web Feature – CNN’s Mauritania: Slavery’s Last Stronghold
- Online Journalism Awards – Best Feature – CNN’s Mauritania: Slavery’s Last Stronghold
- EPPY awards – Best Enterprise/Investigative Video – CNN’s Mauritania: Slavery’s Last Stronghold
- EPPY awards – Best News Web Site – CNN
- Edward R. Murrow Award – Broadcast Affiliated Website – CNN
- Society for News Design – World’s Best-Designed News Site – CNN
- Society for News Design – World’s Best-Designed News App – CNN
- Peabody Award – CNN Heroes: An All-Star Tribute
- Peabody Award – CNN coverage of Gulf Oil Spill
- Society of Publication Designers (SPD) – Gold Award – Website of the Year – CNN
- Edward R. Murrow Award – Broadcast Affiliated Website – CNN
- Webby Awards – People’s Voice Award – CNN
- EPPY Awards – Best News Web Site – CNN
- Peabody Award – CNN’s coverage of U.S. presidential election
- One Show Awards – Silver Pencil – J. Walter Thompson – U.S. Marine Corp CDROM
- One Show Awards – Bronze Pencil – J. Walter Thomspon – Marines.com
- Communication Arts Interactive Annual – J. Walter Thompson – Marines.com
- Favorite Website Awards – Site of the Year – J. Walter Thomspon – Marines.com
- Gold Addy Award – J. Walter Thompson – Marines.com
- Eppy Award – Best Newspaper Web Site – OnlineAthens.com
- Newspaper Association of America Digital Edge Award – OnlineAthens.com
MFA/Graphic Design • Georgia State University • May 2017
- Winnie B. Chandler Fellow
- Student Innovation Fellow
Academic focus: Intersection of design, technology, environment, and theory.
BA/Program in Literature and English • Duke University • May 1996
- Israel B. Friedman Scholar
Academic focus: critical theory, post-colonial Studies, Latin American literature, 18th-century British literature
Relevant Positions Academic & Professional
2015 – Present • Graduate Instructor • Georgia State University • Atlanta, GA
Responsibilities include teaching undergraduate courses on fundamentals of design. The undergraduate includes sophomores planning to apply to the BFA in Graphic Design, as well as juniors and seniors who have already been accepted into the program.
Courses taught include:
- Introduction to Graphic Design
- Intermediate Graphic Design
- Corporate Identity Design
- Introduction to Typography
2014 – Present • Instructor • General Assembly • Atlanta, GA
Responsibilities include teaching course to professionals and members of several Atlanta startup incubators who are looking to expand their skill sets or change career direction. I also regularly present and appear at round-table discussions about trending industry topics.
Courses taught include:
- Introduction to Mobile Visual Design
- Introduction to Mobile UX Design
- Data Science and Visualization Round Table
- Mobile Design Crash Course
2015 – Present • Owner – Elemenoh Studios, LLC • Atlanta, GA
Responsibilities include visual design, UX design, art direction, writing coding, day-to-day operations, etc. for this company which I began as a formalization of my freelance practice. Clients include Microsoft, Warner Brothers, Turner Broadcasting, The Charles and Flora Hewlett Foundation, The Narrative Content Group/Mother Nature Network, and more.
2008 – 2015 • Art Director • CNN • Atlanta, GA
Responsibilities included leading a team of visual and UX designers, developers, and visual journalists in producing compelling stories for all of CNN’s digital platforms: desktop, mobile, social, broadcast, and emerging platforms. Also lead training sessions for newsroom personnel on data visualization best practices, typography, photo editing, and animation principles.
2004 – 2008 • Art Director • Atlanta Journal-Consititution • Atlanta, GA
Responsibilities included leading a team of visual and UX designers, and developers to aid in the day-to-day digital news production of the newspaper. Also acted as creative lead on special projects, and liaison between the creative team and the news team, in addition to teaching classes on photo editing, HTML and CSS, Flash animation, and more.
2002 – 2003 • Art Director & Project Manager (Contract) • J. Walter Thompson • Atlanta, GA
Responsibilities included aiding the creative team on the Marines account to “think digitally” as we redesigned the U.S. Marine Corps (USMC) website. The team of talented designers were all from traditional media backgrounds and I helped them translate the brand into compelling digital presentations. In addition to the USMC site, we also created an interactive CD-ROM to be used as a giveaway to prospective recruits. In addition to art director duties, I managed relationships between vendors, internal teams, and direct contacts within the Marine Corps. Additional duties included occasional consultation on digital design matters with the Ford Motors and Orkin Pest Control teams, as well providing digital guidance and ideation for new business pitches.
2001 – 2002 • Director of Digital Communications and Graphics • ING Advisors Network • Atlanta, GA
Responsibilities included streamlining digital communications processes and initiatives to assure compliance with web standards, style and brand guidelines. Designed and wrote copy for print and web marketing materials, decreasing client attrition and increasing brand awareness.
1999 – 2001 • Creative Director • Ockham Technologies • Atlanta, GA
Responsibilities included creating and managing overall brand of this startup company, managing production of marketing and advertising assets, as well as managing the team that produced interfaces for the application that was the company’s core product.
1997 – 1999 • Web Coordinator • Athen Banner-Herald • Athens, GA
Responsibilities included managing operations and design of newspaper’s web site, establishing better usability and more pertinent editorial content, increasing monthly page views by 40% in first six months in the position.
1996 – 1997 • Graphic Designer • Community Newspapers, Inc. • Athens, GA
Responsibilities included designing marketing materials, advertising, and internal communications, as well assisting in page redesigns of the various print newspapers owned by the company. Also led a team that designed and developed the company’s first website.
1994 – 1996 • Graphic Designer • Duke University Press • Durham, NC
Responsibilities included designing book covers, catalogs and marketing materials for academic publications.
Publications and Exhibitions
- 2017 • Excerpts from Who’s He When He’s At Home? (see more), Solo Show, Oakland Park Galleries, April 3-7, 2017 – Atlanta, GA
- 2017 • Who’s He When He’s At Home? (see more), MFA Solo Thesis Exhibit, Ernest G. Welch School of Art & Design Galleries, April 3-7, 2017 – Atlanta, GA
- 2015 • Interpolations, Exhibition of first and second year MFA students, Ernest G. Welch School of Art & Design Galleries, May 2-20, 2015 – Atlanta, GA
- 2004 • One Show Interactive: Advertising’s Best Interactive and New Media, Vol. VII. Publication of designs for Marine Corp CD-ROM, pp. 108-109. ISBN: 0-929837-24-X
- 2003 • Communication Arts: Interactive Annual, September/October 2003. Publication of designs for Marine Corps website, pp. 102-103. ISSN: 0010-3519
- Society for News Design
- Art Director’s Club
- Graphic Artists Guild
- Online News Association
Service to Institution
- 2016 • Georgia State University • “Maker Space” steering committee – I work on a team of students and faculty tasked with deciding the direction, governance, design and other details of GSU’s “maker space” planned to open in 2017.
- 2016 • Georgia State University, School of Public Health – Design and development of interactive communications materials showcasing the international geographical reach of the school.
- 2014 – present • Georgia State University, Ernest G. Welch School of Art & Design – Graphic design for public relations materials including advertising, collateral, website, MFA catalogs, event posters, etc.